Monday, February 28, 2011

Book review: The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder

Image from here
This was a great book!  I knew I would love it when I saw the books that it talked about because they are some of my favorites.  The author does a really good job of talking about classic books as well as their authors and what we have to learn from them.

With each of the books and authors that are discussed, the author chooses a character trait that they exemplify.  Here are the characters and their character traits:

  • Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice - self
  • Janie Crawford from Their Eyes Were Watching God - faith
  • Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables  - happiness
  • Celie from The Color Purple - dignity
  • Francie Nolan from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - family
  • Claudine from Colette's novels - indulgence
  • Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind - fight
  • Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird - compassion
  • Laura Ingalls from the Little House books - simplicity
  • Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre - steadfastness
  • Jo March from Little Women - ambition
  • Mary Lennox from The Secret Garden - magic
This is a wonderful book that made me revisit some of the wonderful books I've read and made me interested in reading some of the other books that I haven't read yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments!